
Established in the 1890's Algonquin provincial park provides an escape to the
wilderness in Southern Ontario. During the Winter months we have found we can often have the entire park pretty much to ourselves and is a great weekend escape.


Our
initial hike, around 2.5Km turned into 2 hrs + and felt more like 5 K's. Trudging through virgin snow over 1ft deep is very hard going without snow shoes. There were several moment were we seemed truly lost as at this time of year its hard to find obvious landmarks and I forgot to set the GPS.



As the
afternoon wore on we did
Dibbs favorite hike to the logging museum , the old steam trains and logging boat, and found the perfect Echo valley. with fading light we headed back to the cabin, which took longer than expected as I manged to put the Ford into a ditch. With Brad, I and a passerby lifting and
Dibbs driving we finally
managed to get it back on road. Many thanks to the guy who stopped and
assisted, otherwise it could have been a cold and miserable night out there.
Cold, tired and wet back the cabin for the obligatory Hot Chocolate and a roaring log fire...
Perfect.......
3 comments:
Fantastic memories and pictures
Wish I could have been there as well guys. I am very jealous of all that snow. Making me very homesick at the moment.
Glad you had a good time though even though I wasn't there. :P. Keep the pics coming!
Thanks Dad. Maybe I should just put on my blog - "went to Algonquin - see here" and link to your's!
Would have been fun if you could have been there too Phil!
Post a Comment