Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Where am I!

To anyone who has been absent from the UK for some time, returning to wander around London, one could be forgiven to think they had been subject to Gas through the keyhole of their hotel room and awoken to find themselves "In the Village"



I am sure I heard a statistic that there is 1 camera for every 5 people in the UK, and a few hours spent roaming London appears to confirm that. Is it that the British people are become so untrustworthy they have to watched every minute by the Watchers. Serious paranoia on behalf of the government one suspects. There are of course those who welcome such intrusion into their lives on the understanding this technology will have a dramatic impact on crime.

Well perhaps it has assisted in the overcrowding of the prisons, or with never ending onslaught of legislation from the grey men, everyone is now a criminal! Is eating a KitKat while stopped at a traffic light really an offence.. This is kind of like getting smacked in the classroom for chewing gum..






For those of you who remember the cult series the prisoner, the watchers watched everyone in the Village at all times and perhaps the only piece missing in this analogy is the Big Bag of Gas which was the enforcer......Or perhaps not. Tell me its not true.. Blair's Britain appears to be based on the public school concept of Monitors and prefects... I have observed these people in action, with a London transport prefect trying to exert his authority on some poor confused tourist! and now the litter prefects with Cameras in their silly hats.... Yee god's.

Or the one I heard and love, A voice merging from the Underground PA system, by another one of the prefects broadcasting the words.. " YOU IN THE BLUE ANORAK WHAT ARE YOU DOING". Perhaps when this kind of absurdity becomes part of everyday life its difficult for people to see the dark side of this program.


CCTV certainly has its place as a security tool, but the locations should be strategic and NOT subject to the Blanket paranoid deployment methodology observed in London.

Of course the age old problem now emerges... who is watching the watchers!!!!. and if you had ever met one of the Watcher's you would be very concerned!.

I still love London, but preferred it the way it was without the ugly and intrusive camera's and the crap modern architecture that now seems to be invading St. Paul's like a Cancer, really hard to get a full photograph of that great monument anymore.
Check our the old public washrooms by Parliament, on the North Bank. I suspect they have been privatised.. Turnstile entry and 50p that's $1.00 for a piss... Wow! and a sign that warns "THIS AREA IS UNDER CCTV SURVEILLANCE" So don't attempt to climb over the turnstile. Can one still raise a hand and shout "RELIEF" and then piss in the streets legally. If so there's another cost saving idea for the Fodors guide to London.

Anyway at least many of the great parts of London remain so far unscathed!.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey bud. Loved the rant. In fact I loved it so much I might just print it out, frame it, and hang it on my wall.

England really is going down the drain and its only going to keep getting worse.